The Breathing, Thinking, Functioning (BTF) model is a tool to help health professionals understand and manage chronic breathlessness.
Breathlessness affects the daily lives of many people with long-term health conditions, like lung or heart disease. This disabling and frightening symptom often persists despite best possible treatment of the disease.
The BTF model explains why breathlessness happens, and supports health professionals to provide personalised breathlessness management for their patients.
This website is for
- health professionals managing people experiencing intractable breathlessness;
- academics working in the field of chronic breathlessness;
- and for people experiencing breathlessness and those supporting them.
With increasing international use of the BTF model, this website is home for an emerging community of practice.
- PrimaryBreathe research to help people suffering with chronic breathlessness across the UK (1st July, 2022)
- Educational tool can break the vicious cycle of chronic breathlessness, report health professionals (13th September, 2021)